Each year, all students in grades 1-5 look forward to their 3 day, 2 night adventure at YMCA Camp Hanes, located in the foothills of NC, just 25 miles northwest of Winston-Salem.
Camp days are filled with hands-on, age-appropriate learning experiences like geology, forest ecology, hiking, archery, climbing, and zip lines! Nights are filled with group activities like singing around the campfire. It's sure to be a highlight of your child's SMS experience!
Frequently Asked Questions
Who goes to camp?
- ALL students in 1st – 5th grades!
- SMS teachers, no parent chaperones are needed
Where is it?
- King, NC, 25 miles northwest of Winston-Salem
- 1225 Camp Hanes Road, King, NC 27021
When is it?
- The trip is generally scheduled for early November
- Weather conditions do not alter camp dates, we go rain or shine
How much does it cost?
- Your teacher will send home information on cost
How will students get to Camp Hanes?
- Parents are needed to take and pick up students
- If you cannot drive, another parent or teacher will take your child
What is needed?
**Be prepared for cool nights!**
- Bedding – fitted sheet & a sleeping bag or 2-3 blankets
- Pack bedding in an XL Ziploc storage bag)
- Clothing – casual clothing suitable for camp settings
- Two pairs of shoes that can get muddy
- Daily change of socks & underwear
- Heavy & lightweight shirts
- Warm jacket
- Raincoat & boots
- Two or three pairs of jeans/pants
- Hat/gloves/mittens/winter coat
- **All clothing should be marked with your students name**
- Soap & shampoo
- Bath towel & washcloth
- Pens/Pencils & notebook
- Bug Spray
What not to bring
- Food or gum
Talk to other parents if you have concerns about sending your child to sleep-away camp!